Links to review:
- restoration --04:34, 11 December 2013 (EST)~
- basics --Felsir Felsir (talk) 07:09, 11 December 2013 (EST)
- Arcade_Cabinet Felsir (talk) 05:35, 12 December 2013 (EST)
- Driving_Controls Felsir (talk) 05:39, 17 December 2013 (EST)
- Lighting (currently only deals with marquee, should eventually include all lighting options and branch out to specialized pages) Felsir (talk) 10:17, 18 December 2013 (EST)
- MAME the page looks messy and outdated. Felsir (talk) 07:24, 9 January 2014 (EST)
- MAME Variants Added to go more in depth. Felsir (talk) 07:24, 9 January 2014 (EST)
The list of emulators is outdated/incomplete (new stuff has arrived since the old wiki!). Once the FAQ is done, I think the emulator section will be my top priority (as this is where I struggled the most when setting up my own cabinet).Felsir (talk) 07:44, 8 January 2014 (EST)
- Neo-Geo added, so the FAQ doesn't have broken links. Felsir (talk) 05:58, 17 February 2014 (EST)
- Supermodel added, likewise. Felsir (talk) 05:58, 17 February 2014 (EST)
Problem with .GIF file thumbnails
- From what I understand is the scaling code for gifs incorrect (see this Mediawiki article). Similar the animated GIFs don't scale (I replaced the animGIF for the Pacmamea by a png- but kept the GIF in the project page). So unless the animation is required, it's best to save them as png files instead. BTW. you're doing awesome work getting all the images transferred *notworthy* Felsir (talk) 04:40, 18 February 2014 (EST)
- Let's look at converting the larger .GIFs to .PNGs (<50 files) after all the files and pages are transfered. PL1 (talk) 13:08, 18 February 2014 (EST)
IEC power inlet wiring
Added Wiring#IEC_Fused_Power_Inlet_with_a_Lighted_Switch. Are there any safety disclaimers to add, text that needs correction/standardization, or formatting to fix? PL1 (talk) 07:35, 20 February 2014 (EST)
- I made this one some time ago:
|This Wikipage explains how to modify or connect electric equipment. Build Your Own Arcade Controls Wiki recommends reading the manuals of the tools and equipment you are using.
Topics to fix/review:
- Links to Table of Contents
This FAQ is pretty long to manually scroll back to the top for mobile users. Should we add a link at the end of each section to return to the Table of Contents? (Not sure how to format the link.) PL1 (talk) 05:44, 4 February 2014 (EST)
:''[[#top|Back to the top of this document]]''
- Malenko brought up a good layout/labeling suggestion to consider when building a 4-player panel [here]
Set up the joysticks/encoder in a 3, 1, 2, 4 configuration so the vast majority of games (1 or 2 player games) have players 1 and 2 in the center.
For 4-player games, if you change the in-game control settings so MAME has players in a 1, 2, 3, 4 configuration it will match up with the screen -- farthest left on the control panel = farthest left on the screen.
The only downside is if you have labels/start buttons with the player# imprint instead of a generic "start" label/vinyl button sticker.
- Reated thread [here]. I thought about putting it under orientation, but it mostly involves button choices (#players or "start"), artwork, and remapping in MAME. Given the number of other considerations that are involved in a 4-Player build, it might be good to put a "see also" link under "Orientation", "Buttons - Layout", "What type of build meets my needs?", and [Design Considerations] to a "4-Player Build Considerations" spinoff page that lists many of those considerations -- working list at the thread above. PL1 (talk) 12:59, 13 February 2014 (EST)
- What type of joystick should I get for my build?
This is a common question that seems like it belongs in the FAQ. Perhaps include a list of game categories and associated sticks like this: (check/verify data)
90's fighters = Happ Competition
twitchy SHMUP = Seimitsu LS-XX or Sanwa JLF/JLW
Images to find/make/fix:
Types of Cabs (small)
Banner with Sketchup line drawing of each sub-type with human figure for scale.
What is JAMMA/JAMMA+?
- Pic of 56-pin JAMMA connector.
Pic showing the lighting and switch wiring.
- Requested permission to use/edit the RGB wiring diagram at http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137025.msg1413332.html#msg1413332 PL1 (talk) 06:35, 11 January 2014 (EST)
Screenshots of Command Line MAME and GUI MAME
To illustrate different variants of MAME.
Different build versions/variants of MAME
- MAME = factory original, most reliable
- NoNag/HighScore patch = putting on new rims or a spoiler
- Alternate builds = hotrods based on the factory original offering features not found on the original, but sometimes not as reliable
When you get parts (ROMs) for your car (MAME) you not only need to know the name of the part, you need to know the make/model/year -- a headlight for a 1972 Ford Mustang =/= headlight for a 2014 Ford Mustang.
As automotive technology improves year-to-year, several parts are improved, while others stay the same.
- I tried to include the analogy in the text but for some reason I struggle with the words :-( It might be an idea to write this in the MAME Variants wikipage? Felsir (talk) 05:49, 11 January 2014 (EST)
CPU performance chart
A topic that comes up a lot is "will my PC run (emulated) game X?". I was wondering if we could create some kind of scale. Something like a line with on one side names of milestone games, emulator names or "arcade games from year 2001". The other side of the line CPU, GFX card combos? Not sure if at all possible to create something like this with the myriad of combo's out there... It is probably too much for a FAQ, but the topic comes up a lot so it would be nice if it was possible to point to a dedicated wiki-chart for this kind of stuff. Felsir (talk) 05:05, 14 January 2014 (EST)
- Something along these lines User:Felsir/cpu-chart. I'll ask some reference points on the forum, let's see where this is heading. Felsir (talk) 05:35, 14 January 2014 (EST)
- Lots of threads on that topic. Maybe list various generations of processors (AMD+Intel) and the highest version of MAME that they will run at 100% for 1.)Classics 2.)Majority of games 3.)Toughest game of that MAME version. May want separate tables for MAME and other emulators. PL1 (talk) 05:50, 14 January 2014 (EST)