What is pyReCADE?
pyReCADE (pronounced "pie arcade") is a Python based MAME front-end designed for use on an arcade cabinet using minimal controls (joystick and buttons).
What is it written in?
pyReCADE is written in Python and utilizes the Pygame libraries. Pygame is a graphics library built upon SDL. Because of the wide variety of platforms that python and SDL will run on pyReCADE in theory can be used under Windows, NT4, MacOS, OSX, BeOS, FreeBSD, IRIX, and Linux. It is currently being developed under Linux, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the previous statement, but in the longer term I hope to actively support at least both Windows and Linux.
What features does it have?
- Fully customizable interface
- Alphabetic filtering
- Category based filtering
- Most popular games counter and Favorites category
- Customizable key bindings
- Can be used with joystick and buttons
- Supports background images as well as gradients
- Automatic scaling of themes to any resolution
- Screensaver with slideshow or random game mode
- Configurable drop shadows
- Navigation Sounds
- Intro movie support (mpg only)
- Ability to hide particular categories (Adult, etc)
- Per game override settings(emulator, flags, alternate rom)
- Custom categories with filtering
- Compatible with catver.ini
- What features are planned?
- Support for other emulators
- Additional background effects
- Background music
- Text selection mode
- Other things as I get bored.
NB: This frontend is not officiely released and can only get it from CSV. To been sad, since it a nice looking Frontend