Jukebox software is designed to allow your PC to act and look like a jukebox. Much like game emulators, there are graphical user interfaces (GUIs) to enhance this effect. Jukeboxes often require you to rip your music from CDs to your PC.
Software is available for several different operating systems and may or may not be freeware. Often, if the software is freeware, a donation link is present on the homepage of the software to allow you to show your appreciation for the developer's efforts in creating software that frequently rivals and/or bests commercial software!
Jukebox software may also be "skinnable", meaning the appearance of the software may be changed by the end-user based on their preferences. This may take the form of preset skins within the software, or the ability to develop and share skins with other end-users.
Lastly, touchscreens may be utilized if the software supports it, and can be used to eliminate the need for buttons or a keyboard/mouse combination altogether.
List of jukebox software
Below is the jukebox software comparison table for Windows only. SilverJuke now exists to Mac, and Doscab is for DOS.
Please be aware that this may be incomplete! The individual pages will have the software's homepage for you to verify any information or questions you may have!
|Arcade Jukebox||Singles||Mark||Freeware||Basic||mp3||400x300 640x480 800x600||Joystick Trackball|
|Aussie Juke||Both||AussieJuke||Freeware||Basic||mp3, wma (audio) and mpg, wmv, avi (video) files||800x600+||Joystick Mouse|
|Arcade Music Box||List||Space Fractal||Freeware||Full||Many9 cdg radio video||320x240 400x300 640x480 ANY||Joystick Spinner|
|DWJukebox (DOSCab/WinCab)||Both||Chris||Freeware||Full||mp3 ogg mid||MonitorLess, Any6||Buttons Joystick Keypad Touchscreen7 Mouse|
|E-Touch||Album||Barcrest||Shareware||Full||mp3 m4a wma cdg video||800x600 1024x768 ANY||Touchscreen Mouse|
|Juke Blaster Pro||Both||Steve||Commercial||Basic||mp3 wma||Auto size||Touchscreen, Keyboard, USB Coin Acceptor|
|Jukebox Arcade||Both||NebulaSleuth||Freeware||Full||WMP||1024x768 ANY||Mouse Trackball Buttons Touchscreen|
|MultiJuke||Multi||Space Fractal||Freeware||Basic||Many9 cdg||MonitorLess, 640x480+ ANY||Joystick Spinner Keypad Trackball|
|SK Jukebox||Album||SalmonKing||Freeware||Basic||WMP video||800x600+||Keypad Mouse Touchscreen|
|SKG Jukebox||Album||SkepticalGeek||FOSS||Basic||mp3 ogg flac||800x600 up to 1920x1080|| Keyboard Mouse Touchscreen
|Virtual Music Jukebox||Album||VMJ Team||Commercial||Standard||mp3 wma wmv||800x600 1024x768||Keypad Touchscreen Mouse|
|AlbumPlayer||Album||-||Shareware||Standard||Many9 cdg video||800x480+||Touchscreen Mouse|
|BoxEasy||Album||-||Shareware||Basic||mp3 ogg wma m4a||1024x768 1280x1024||Keyboard Mouse|
|J River Media Center||Both||-||Commercial||Advanced||mp3 wma ogg + supports plugins||Auto size||Touchscreen, Infared Remote, Web Remote, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Jukebox Jockey Media Player||Both||-||Commercial||Standard, Web based homepage||Music, Video, Karaoke (mp3, wma, mpeg, mp4, + much more)||800x600+, ANY||Touchscreen, Infared Remote, Keyboard, Keypad, Mouse|
|MP3 Susi||Album||-||Freeware||None||mp3 ?||?||Mouse|
|Title Track||Album||-||Commercial||None||mp3 wav aiff sd2||?||Mouse|
|The JukeBox'er||Album||-||Shareware||Advanced||wma mp3 ogg wav cda cdg radio video||800x600+||Mouse|
|Nordbeat's Jukebox||Album||-||Shareware||Standard||WMP AMP||800x600 1024x768||Touchscreen Keyboard Mouse|
|The PC Jukebox||Album||-||Commercial||Standard||mp3 wma wav video||1024x768||Touchscreen Mouse|
|PartyTime Jukebox||Album||-||Freeware||Basic||AMP||800x600 1024x768||Touchscreen Keyboard|
|Python Jukebox||Album||-||Web10||Open Source||-||MP3 more?||?|| Mouse Touchscreen
|Silverjuke||Album||-||Commercial||Advanced||AMP||640x480+||Touchscreen Mouse Keyboard|
|Tunez||Album||-||Web10||Open Source||-||mp3 ogg||?||Mouse|
|Touchtone||-||-||Shareware||Basic||AMP video||1024x768||Touchscreen Mouse|
|YoDJ||Album||-||Web10||Freeware||CCS9||Many 10||From 640x480+||Mouse/Keyboard|
|ZenPoint DigitalCenter||Multi||-||Commecial||Full||Music, Video, Karaoke (mp3, flac, ogg, wma, mpeg, mkv, mp4, + much more)||From 800x600+, any||Touchscreen Mouse Keyboard Remote Iphone IPad|
1) Format Orientation:
With type of format do the software use. This tell it Singles or album based (or both). There are some exceptions:
- Arcade Music Box use a list based screme like Mamewah, but it support both Singles and Albums formats.
- Wincab/Doscab acts best as a singles-based jukebox (it is very popular), but it also supports album as well.
2) Byoac Member?
If this software is registered and supported by a BYOAC member, the name is showed here.
- Freeware: is fully functional without payment. A nag screen or ads are not considered a loss of functionality.
- Shareware: has limited functionality until payment is made.
- Commercial: software is fully functional for a limited time, after which payment must be made.
4) About skinning:
How can the software being skinned and changed?
- Basic: Only the background may be changed or colors adjusted, but not the fonts or control placements.
- Standard: A software may only support one "Some", not the both.
- Advanced: A software may only support one "Some", not the both.
- If WMP (Windows Media Player) or AMP (Winamp) are listed, that jukebox software is simply a frontend for those programs and handle all formats and codecs WMP/AMP support. WMP/AMP are REQUIRED for the jukebox software to operate.
- If video and/or image is listed, the individual page will list all video or image file types supported.
- Some software may support MP3+G (a karaoke system), wich is stated as cdg (but they may need to being ripped from the cd).
- If software has a + after the resolutions, this meams it uses an autoscaling scheme. You can show it on a higher monitor, but the skin may just be rescaled.
- If software stated with any, this mean any resolution is supported by a added skin.
- DWJukebox autoscales all skins to all resolutions and orientations; skins designed specifically for very low resolutions (320x240) are included.
- Other software may look best at the stated resolution(s), even if it supports any resolution with a new skin.
- Main Controls marked in bold indicate the controls the software was originally designed for and works best with.
- Buttons is typical used for limited use like insert a letter and number (like D3 to insert a song).
- Joystick is meant for using with arcade joystick (and few buttons), but technical been a keyboard encoder and/or gameport.
- Keyboard shortcuts (Skip, Pause, Show Queue etc) are not counted as main controls, due nearly all software support it in many ways. Some software can have many shortcuts.
- Keypad support in many software can also been remmapped.
- Mouse can been a trackball as well (if mouse course is hided, use trackball term insted).
- Touchscreen support in DWJukebox is limited to DOS and Windows XP.
8) Web based skin:
- Some application can used as webbased software. So skins is based on css in that case.
9) Many Extensions:
- These software support many extensions as it could listed here. So they may support 10+ extensions.
- Arcade Music Box and Album Player is based on BASS engine, and support these extensions as well.
- Bass is an external engine, Bass wich also supports a variety of extensions and is included with the software. Some software is based on it, but not all software support plugins (like The JukeBox'er).
- These software is writting in a web based language, like php perl and python. because of it, it good to use with a Apache server or like that. It should of course run on all platform (a least on Windows, linux and Mac)